Hudson Valley Cruise

The Car Cruise Site of the New York Hudson Valley and beyond.

Sale/Wanted & Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > CAR SHOW ENTRY FEE'S

bigdaddy

A bunch of us rodders were talking the other night over pizza about the costs of going to a local car show. The pre-reg fee of 15.00 and day of show fee of 20,00 is played out. some shows are even more reaching 20.00 and 25.00. We are not talking about the large national shows which are three days at 35.00 and you most always pre-reg for those and either get a mug and dash plaque or T shirt. Lets keep n mind the local shows. No names mentioned but why do we have to pay these fee's and pre-reg or get taxed for not. If there are two shoes a week apart and the first one is rained out you loose one cause you can't go to the firsts rain date if they have one and if they don't are they sending you your entry fee back?    Realize that your entry fee pays for trophys, then most all shows are pier judged or spectator judged which is purely a joke. Friends vrs friends not how much work is in a car judged by a real judge. Then the spectators pay little to nothing to walk in and kids under 12 are free. Oh great welcome to the land of running boards. I never saw one person from the show staff correct a kid from standing on them or touching a car. It's a free for all that we pay to enter. Then pets are a whole other story. So when does it end we pay 4.50 a gallon for gas, insurance and reg fees and sit there guarding our investments and get what for it. I am no trophy hunter and never stay for trophy give outs I just want to be with my friends but we after this meeting are not paying the high prices to buy ours and others trophys. We would rather put our money into the fuel tank and attend selected shows that are within reason dollar wise. I praise the shows that are not on the get rich quick list and we will attend them.  See you at Rhienbeck, Rats Nest, Radar Wheels, Syracuse,    Mills Mansion and the like. Let the spectators pay 5.00 a head to see our cars and charge for kids over 5 years old that will weed out the people who are at a car show just cause it;s there. Oh and while I'm on this roll READ the entry fourm before you sign at the bottom, really read it and then think!!

May 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

bluejean hauler

I AGREE TO THOSE OVER PRICED CAR ENTRY FEES!  What's the point if your not into those plastic $5.00 dollar trophies!   Whoopee !!!   I go to try to meet new friends, not to compete against them!   Besides trying to win a trophy is all about politics and favoritism and what the judges prefer that day???, EX: Stock/custom? Camaros, Stangs, Cudas, Rods???   It has happened to me many times up here in the mountains by locals not winning a $5.00 trophy!   My children are the ones that got disappointed because they seen me win "Best of Show" a few times at the Nassau Coliseum (500 vehicles), Carisle's Truck National (1500 trucks) and a few others!!!  It's hard to explain to my kids why I will not compete anymore for that best of show trophy that I just sold at my garage sale for $5.00!!!   LOL!   $25 dollars for a local show, $50 for Goodguys and so on!  Not happening for me anymore!   See ya all at the cruise nights!! :)

Mr. BlueJean Hauler!!!  :) 

--
May 11, 2011 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bigdaddy

Amazing bluejean that 100 people read this any nobody has a reply. The national events charge what they charge for a four day event because of insurance costs and fairground rental fees but they try to give back something. Read your loacal entry forms before you enter and sign. Some local shows don't even give ya a dash plaque anymore and goody bags ??. I and many others are like you, Keep it,  and we'll see ya at the cruise nights.

May 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

CobraBill

I have to agree 20$ is more than I want to pay to be in a car show.

I think 10-15$ is more reasonable, unless it is for a good charity, then I do not mind so much.

With the high price of gas this year, it will be more Fri,Sat. night cruises for me too.

I am sorry but to pay 15$ to get in just to spectate is crazy, I won't pay it.

I don't have a problem with spectators being the judge, I know I try to honestly judge on quality of the car, how clean it is, (use a vacuume cleaner) get all the wax off, hint hint.

May 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dabassman

Bluejean nailed it. One exception. If it is a show for a reputable charity?..I`m there. It`s gotten out of hand with the show fees. I prefer cruise nites. Lots of good friends and conversation. No more shows for me till they get real. GoodGuys??..A joke. Hey, It`s nice to earn a trophy once in a while when it is well deserved but that never happens anymore. It`s all who you know. Cruise nites are cool because it is never political, If you earn one?...It`s from real car people recognizing your hard work in your vehicle. Not some clan of friends shilling the vote. The answer to expensive car shows??...DON`T GO. I for one wont be there til they make it more reasonable with sane entry fees. If they really need the money for some reason?...Get sponsors. Since when do the actors pay the movie makers to star in the films? This stuff used to be fun. Greed took the fun out and quite a few partisapants. Turn it around and we will be back. Just my 2 cents.

May 11, 2011 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Billy B

My 2 cents is that the local cruise nights are more in tune with what the hobby is all about. Get the cars out on the road and hang out with  a great bunch of people who all have an appreciation for what it was and should be all about. Im not saying there arent some shows out there that do a great job. Personally I think Peter up at the rats nest did a great job of putting on a sweet show that was all geared for us to have fun. This guy put in so much effort and covered all the bases just so we could have a great time. 10 bucks for an all day show with bands entertainment and cheap food and drinks. Nice! Cant wait for July to be here! The "Good Guys" can keep there 80$ gazette and stickers. Im going to the rainbow and the Nest!

--

http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/group.php?gid=60806137152

May 12, 2011 at 12:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Fred

I agree with Billy B, cruise ins are the way to go. It's all about driving them and enjoying them and having a good time with the people who own them.  Paying a high entry fee is ridiculous,and who benefits? You are stuck sitting there all day long waiting for a stranger to come and look your car over to see if you're worthy of an award. Life is too short to have your car sitting in the garage waiting for the next show and hoping it doesn't rain. Get out and drive it somewhere while you still can, enjoy a beautiful day or evening somewhere. You're putting on your own one man,or woman car show while you enjoy the ride, a thumbs up or a wave means more than a plastic trophy. This might be for another forum, but what's with those "dolls" grown up men lean up against their cars????  

May 12, 2011 at 8:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

bigdaddy

Thank you, at least myself and my group of buddies are not alone in our thoughts. I agree with you all. Fred the dolls are called shy dolls and were a rage for a while.

May 12, 2011 at 9:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Jim Biron
Site Owner

Ditto to all said. It can get costly very quickly. I believe a lot of places see all the cars and start counting $$$ rather that appreciating the sport. We have several cruise-ins that are nothing but good fun and we get to meet new folks from all over. What could be better than that and ya know what.. the best ones are free!

--

Jim

May 16, 2011 at 11:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ROSIE'S CARETAKER

We put a lot of thought into it when we did the Labor Day show at the Kripplebush Firehouse last year. Finally we decided no fee but a contribution. This worked out and we served hurgers etc at not cost to car owners. We had a few nice gifts and everyone got a plaque after the show, some longer after than others. It was a nice afternoon and we actually made a few dollars and everyone said they had a great time. So a fun day CAN BE had. Now for a charity that is a different story.

--
June 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Rick Warr (DOK)

Hmmm!  What's this?  It seems no one appreciates paying high entry fees to "show their stuff" ?  OK, I'm being sarcastic!  Gotta have a little fun--Isn't that we are all about ?  On a serious note, I chime in unison with everyone else.  But I DID want to use this forum to thank everyone that puts on a cruise or low budget show.  I would like to make special mention, as I have many times verbally to others, about a little known show that really hit the mark.  I hope this year it will be better attended, and better supported.  I speak of the Kripplebush Fire Co./Labor Day show.  Well Done Jon, and all who worked diligently to put it on.  Hey, now there's a trophy!!!!!!  My "Lucy" was awarded , probably the most appreciated, functional trophy, ever!  A fire extinguisher !!!!!!!!  Keep your shiny plastic,dust collectors   -This doubles as a hood prop, and goes with me to every show (lettered, of course).......... WAAAAYYY COOOOL !                                      DOK

--

DOK. ( aka Rick Warr) 

June 16, 2011 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

The Judge

How about $18.00 entry fee for spectators at "Good" Guys Show.  The radio advertisement says, affordable fun for the entire family!  Right.

June 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Dabassman

Remember when GreedGuys used to be fun and affordable?? The place was not as full so that says volumes. I drove by and I was able to get in and out of Rhinebeck with ease, No traffic to speak of. See ya GreedGuys........ Cruise nite it is....lol

June 25, 2011 at 4:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jay Hirsch

Yesterday, July 10 there were two shows  I  may have attended except:

show # 1  pre-reg  $12  day of show $20

I will pay $10...maybe to attend a show.  Keep your five  foot trophy's, better yet donate the money gto a charity

show # 2  pre-reg   $15  day of show $20

Support you evening cruise events...that do not charge.  These are what collector cars are about.  Not events at  high school parking lots   with five foot trophy's

Bear  Mt cruise  is now $4.  I did not tell the NY State Parks commissioin to close and gut the Bear Mt  Inn seven years ago.   Last year I went twice,  This  year once, July 6.  In a few years, the Bear Mt  cruise will be "history"  if no one wakes up and smells the pine trees

The dwindling  number of cars and the 50/50 reflects this  at Bear Mt

Greedguys is correct term.  This is another event that may not be around in a few years and rightly so.  Walk in $18!  Show car  $40-$70 depending if for weekend or one day

Saugerties  Rat's  Next  $10  and Pete give's you  your money's worth. Real cars, not trailer queens

keep cruisin

Jay H

--
July 11, 2011 at 1:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Jay Hirsch

Received in mail today entry  form for Harbor Island, Marmaroneck show  Sept  11,

"New this year, no pre-pay, pre-registration,  day of show  $25".....$25!!

no worry, I will be a "no show"

keep cruisin

Jay H

another show that   may not be around in a  few years

July 14, 2011 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.